Metis Partners presents an exciting opportunity to acquire the intellectual property portfolio owned by Now Technologies Limited; Now Technologies (IP) Limited; Musicqubed Limited and Musicqubed International Limited (“MusicQubed” or the “Companies”).
MusicQubed developed an app that gave access to a low-cost music streaming service. It collaborated with numerous global brands including Samsung, Vodafone and O2 to offer the mobile app which downloaded up to 100 tracks that updated daily, utilizing proprietary tethered download technology.
- To relaunch this mid-market music streaming app with the confidence it carries both patent protection and trade mark protection until 2035.
- To acquire a valuable patent portfolio comprising 15 granted patents with coverage in multiple territories including four US granted patents.
- To take advantage of the market momentum and exposure that was achieved by this service that had 1.5m users at its peak and partnered with global media giants MTV, EE and Now!
- To acquire this highly-rated patent portfolio as part of an active offensive and defensive IP strategy.
Founded in 2011, MusicQubed was a white label music streaming app developer that received significant investment from Sir Richard Branson and Universal Music Group. MusicQubed captured the attention of the
casual music listening market at a mid-market price point. Identifying that the music streaming sector was saturated with streaming platforms charging £10 per month for an unlimited listening experience, MusicQubed
wanted to appeal to the casual music listener who were not interested in an all-you-can-eat music consumption, but rather, a smaller selection of “
Utilizing proprietary patented technology, MusicQubed developed music streaming apps enabling users to cache music to their devices for offline listening. Initially launching in partnership with Now! That’s What I Call
Music in 2011, MusicQubed partnered with The Official Charts Company and Samsung in 2012 to launch the Official Top 40 Chart App, which was exclusive to Samsung smartphones and gave users access to the Top 40
songs in the UK for £1 per week.
In 2013, MusicQubed partnered with O2 to launch ‘O2 Tracks’, which gave customers access to a rotating list of 100 songs per week, featuring the Top 40 songs from that week’s UK Official Chart along with a curated collection of 60 further tracks. Customers were charged £5 per month, or £1 per week if they were O2 customers, with the service boasting over 300k users and receiving over 100m plays.
In collaboration with Vodafone, MusicQubed expanded its international reach by launching a streaming app called Vodafone Music in November 2013, giving users access to 70 tracks including the New Zealand Official
Top 40. MusicQubed also expanded into markets including Malaysia and Spain through the development of MTV Trax, a music streaming application designed in collaboration with global media giant MTV.
IP Assets for Sale Include
- Three patent families comprising 15 granted patents, including four granted US patents. Patent protection extends to 2035.
- The MusicQubed brand is trade mark protected and has undoubtedly benefitted from its association with high profile global partners including O2, Samsung and MTV. The brand has also achieved international exposure by launching services across a wide number of APAC and EMEA territories.
- The musicqubed.co.uk domain is also available for purchase and provides the successful acquirer with the opportunity to relaunch the service with a dedicated online presence.
All offers and requests for additional information should be submitted by email directly to Emre Turan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any offer conditions (clarifications of details or specific questions about assets) should also be included in the email.
All communication regarding offers should be made to Metis Partners.