Why engage an IP strategy advisor?
Many companies have a short- and long-term business strategy, but fail to consider how IP can be exploited in its execution. Metis Partners assists companies leverage their IP assets by helping them create, implement and maintain a robust IP strategy, linking directly the business strategy. As an IP strategy advisor, Metis Partners recommends short and/or long-term actions a company should take in order both to strengthen its competitive advantage and create stronger barriers to entry.
How can our vCIPO (Virtual Chief Intellectual Property Officer) service help?
vCIPO is an IP advisory service for companies that need ad-hoc IP advice. vCIPO is the outsourcing of the role of a Chief Intellectual Property Officer, who is typically responsible for a wide range of activities and decisions focused on the management of a company’s IP assets.
Metis Partners, as a company’s vCIPO, ensures that IP is always on the board agenda, through demonstrating the value it adds to achieving the company’s business goals and objectives. We provide ad-hoc support and advise on the following matters, according to each company’s needs and resources:
- IP strategy development – the refinement or development of a formal IP strategy presentation deck that showcases how IP assets, such as patents and brands, can create barriers to entry;
- IP improvement – the creation of an action plan of IP asset improvement activities, outlining the key activities and timetables, and acting as project manager;
- IP policy – the review and refinement of relevant IP policies and processes;
- IP training – internal training relation to the management of IP assets;
- IP asset deployment in joint ventures, partnerships and licensing – the review of how a company plans to exploit IP assets and achieve a return on investment; and
- IP reporting – external IP counsel activities (if any), with an eye towards strict budget management and contribute to internal reports on IP progress to CEO, CFO, CTO, general counsel, and any other designated staff.
Who would find a vCIPO helpful?
- Companies seeking support to improve their exit valuation multiple and needing advice on discussions with M&A advisers and buyers
- Start-up/pre-revenue companies who require strategic advice around IP protection and commercialisation;
- SMEs looking to differentiate themselves from competitors, generate new revenue streams underpinned by IP assets and/or maximise the valuation of an IP-rich business prior to exit/fundraising;
- Companies with limited funding and/or internal resources looking to implement a long-term IP management strategy;
- Companies with specific IP-related issues which require external advice and support;
- Companies that are seeking independent commercial IP advice in advance of a joint venture, partnership or a licensing arrangement;
- Companies seeking IP-related project management support, e.g. IP audit, trade secrets policy implementation;
- Larger companies that need ongoing IP advice and support in joint ventures and partnerships.
If you would like to know more about our vCIPO service, please contact our Head of Professional Services, Ruby Chan on +44 (0)141 353 3011 or email@example.com or our Founder & CEO, Stephen Robertson in the US on +1 858 848 6911.