Zelf Hussain, Toby Scott Underwood and Ian David Green of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, the Joint Administrators of Maplin Electronics Limited (in Administration) (“Maplin” or the “Company”), have appointed Metis Partners to support the marketing and sale of the intellectual property (“IP”) assets relating to the Company.
IP ASSET HIGHLIGHTS
- Established Brand of 40 years with an International Presence
- Award-winning Retailer with Robust Reputation
- Branded E-commerce Website and Domain Names
- Significant Online Sales Performance
- Trade Mark Protection
- Extensive Customer Data
- Opportunity for Brand Extension and Expansion
This is a unique opportunity to acquire the IP assets, including a significant brand portfolio, of Maplin Electronics, formerly the UK’s leading consumer electronics specialist.
All offers and requests for additional information should be submitted by email directly to Morven Fraser at email@example.com. The deadline for offers has been set at Wednesday 30th May 2018 at Noon.
Trading since 1976, the Maplin brand has an established place in the hearts of electronics hobbyists and technology enthusiasts and has a nationwide presence having had more than 200 stores across the UK. The Maplin brand had also received considerable international market exposure in Asia and Europe.
The Maplin brand is synonymous with expert technical electronic advice, coupled with an excellent customer service record. The reputation of the brand had been augmented through winning various awards, including National Retailer of the Year at the PCR Awards in 2017.
In 2016-2017, the Company conducted a rebranding exercise, which was aimed at expanding its core customer base by making the brand more accessible to a wider target consumer demographic.
IP assets owned by the Company include international trade marks, website content and multiple domain names, significant organisational knowledge, as well as rights in Maplin’s brand and reputation.
With consumer electronic UK retail sales in 2017 reaching £19.5 billion, an increase of 5.8% from 2016, this is an exciting opportunity to leverage this established brand to capitalise on this sector growth.
IP ASSETS FOR SALE
- Goodwill rights in the brand and reputation of both the Maplin corporate brand and numerous product brands
- Rights in a portfolio of registered and unregistered trade marks
- Website content and registered domain names
- Customer database of circa 4.5m
- Significant organisational knowledge
- Copyright in books and catalogue collections
This opportunity is likely to be of interest to companies operating in the following areas:
- Consumer Electronics
- Internet of Things
- Brand Acquisition