A traditional Burns Night is an opportunity to celebrate the life of the Scottish national poet. It usually takes place at the end of January, allowing us Scots to attempt to fight away the winter blues and celebrate in style. It presents the opportunity to share in some delightful aspects of the Scottish culture – a wee nip o’ whisky, the address to the Haggis (it is the chieftain o’ the puddin’ race after all), the delightful and sonorous sound of the bagpipes and the humorous toast to the lassies.
We are brimming with excitement about our Burns Supper Event. To mark the occasion, we have created a special Facebook page – “Robert Burns – Burns Supper”. We will be posting up some of our favourite Burns poems and trying to incorporate Rabbie’s lessons into our modern life, as well as posting interesting facts about the life of Scotland’s national bard. During the evening itself, there will be a Robert Burns quiz, with the chance of winning some Scottish prizes, so it pays to brush up on your knowledge! However, no need to wait for the day to begin the fiesta – start posting under our Twitter hashtag #metisburnsnight asap and the most active of you will be awarded the Master of Social Media title and rewarded with a gift!
In order to prepare our guests to fully experience the charm of a Burns Night, we have prepared a short running order of events:
- Greeting our dear guest from 6pm to 6.30pm
- Host’s Welcoming Speech: Our Founder and Director, Stephen Robertson, alongside our head of Corporate Recovery, Nat Baldwin, will welcome everyone to the event.
- The Selkirk Grace: To most, this will be an unintelligible, indecipherable collection of words.
- The Piping of the Haggis: The delectable haggis is given the honour of being accompanied by the melodious and enchanting tones of the bagpipes.
- Toast to the Lassies: Stephen Robertson will give a toast to the lassies – it will be a short speech to give thanks to the women in the room. It will (hopefully) be amusing and at the end the men will drink a toast to the women’s health.
- Reply to the Laddies: Linda Shannon, one of our senior IP analysts, will give thanks to the men in the room using her humorous and insightful style.
- Closing (around 9pm): After winners of our quiz and the social media master has been rewarded with gifts, Stephen will give thanks and everyone will sing Auld Lang Syne.
Format: Informal traditional Burns Night themed haggis buffet & canapés and drinks.
Dress code: Business attire.
The Metis Partners team are incredibly excited to be hosting our Burns Night and we hope that our guests have fun and enjoy a taste of Scottish culture!